Making a DifferenceThe Fisher Scientific channel is committed to protecting and
in the World – Together
preserving the environment and enabling you to do the same.
As part of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s mission to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer, the Fisher Scientific channel is dedicated to providing sustainable solutions to help you reduce your environmental footprint.
Our Progress in 2019
Tons of Waste Diverted From Landfill2
Sites Working Toward Zero Waste3
1 Data normalised by annual revenue. In 2019 Thermo Fisher announced a new greenhouse gas reduction target of 30% (over 2018 levels) by the year 2030. This new target aligns Thermo Fisher’s goal with the United Nations Paris Climate Agreement, which aims to limit worldwide average temperatures to below a 2°C increase in order to avoid the worst effects of climate change and global warming.
2 U.S. data only.
3 The Fisher Scientific channel currently has 5 sites that have become Zero Waste facilities, Illkirch, Gothenburg, Schwerte, Loughborough, and Tracy (California – USA) diverting more than 90% of waste stream from landfills. Thermo Fisher Scientific is working towards Zero Waste Certification for 26 sites.
Business sustainability is a key operating principle and one of the three pillars of Thermo Fisher’s Corporate Social Responsibility efforts. We are continually seeking new ways to meet our customers' needs, while being environmentally responsible in the way we run our business.
Product and facility highlights:
- Landfill avoidance: Illkirch, Gothenburg, Schwerte and Loughborough sites are now Zero Waste certified
- Safety Data Sheets for chemicals are sent out electronically
- Starting to convert our cold-chain coolers from EPS foam to a 100% paper cooler
- Our Gothenburg site in Sweden is BREEAM certified, Zero Waste certified, with 100% of waste diversion from landfill and certified for using 100% renewable energy (Wind, Solar, and Water)
Decrease your quantity of physical shipments without changing your ordering cycles using our Scheduled Shipment Program.
Request Electronic Catalogues and Literature to reduce transportation and paper usage; more than 950 digital brochures and other literature are now available.
It’s paper. It’s cool. And it means you can start saying “goodbye” to foam coolers.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is committed to reducing the carbon footprint of our products through redesigning and minimising packaging. We know cold shipping represents one of our largest environmental impacts. Traditional expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam coolers are good at protecting products but are difficult to recycle and often end up in landfills.
Our 100% paper cooler is an environmentally preferable alternative to EPS coolers and meets the thermal requirements necessary to uphold our stringent product quality standards. Though we still rely on EPS coolers to ship a portion of our cold-chain shipments, our 100% paper cooler is an important step forward in our sustainability journey.
Expect to receive many of your future orders for Thermo Scientific™, Applied Biosystems™ and Invitrogen™ temperature-sensitive products in the new paper cooler.Learn More
Consolidate your orders to reduce the use of transportation and fossil fuels and decrease greenhouse gas emissions.
Supplier materials are reused in packaging or recycled in our facilities.
Useful links and certifications
The Fisher Scientific channel represents a one-stop source and choice for a family of global product and service brands comprising a comprehensive range of laboratory equipment, chemicals, instruments, biological products, and consumable supplies. The Fisher Scientific channel's extensive list of alliances with major manufacturers, as well as our own brand of Fisherbrand products, allows us to give our customers easy access to the products that are most in demand—all from one supplier. We recognise that protection of the environment requires commercial activity to be conducted in a sustainable manner.
The Fisher Scientific channel operates a comprehensive Environmental Management System which ensures compliance with all applicable environmental legislation, regulations, codes of practice and any other standard to which the Company subscribes.
It is the Fisher Scientific channel’s policy to operate to the highest environmental standards through:
- The consideration of environmental issues in all relevant business strategies and initiatives
- The prevention of pollution, reduction of waste and minimisation of resource consumption
- The education of employees in how to carry out tasks in an environmentally responsible manner
- The setting and monitoring of objectives and performance indicators to ensure continual improvement of our environmental management system and to enhance environmental performance
- The purchase of sustainable products wherever feasible
- The reduction in risks from environmental hazards for employees and others near our operations